Why Your Joints Ache After 50 and What You Can Do About It?
Stiff, aching joints are a very common problem among those who have reached 50 or have crossed it. Data shows that in the U.S. 32.5 million adults suffer from this ailment. Typically, these aches and pains at 50 develop in the hip region, in the hands or knees. Also called a wear and tear disease, this occurs mainly because the cartilage is breaking down with age and use, affecting the bone itself. In most cases, the symptoms of stiffness and joint pain are diagnosed as osteoarthritis.
Both men and women above the age of 35 may experience these symptoms and write it off as normal aches and pains of aging but it is far more common in the 50 and above age group. 12% of women in the 50 to 65 age group say that they are unable to carry out household chores independently on their own owing to this. However, if you fall in this age group, it is not necessary for you to live with the pain or stiffness. There are simple solutions you can try.
Treatment for joint pain in old age
Before you learn how to deal with aches and pains at 50, it helps to understand exactly what is happening in your body that is leading to this. Cartilage is the spongy tissue that acts as a cushion between the bones of your joints. When the cartilage breaks down or loses its cushioning ability, the bones begin to scrape against each other. Result- stiffness, pain, inflammation. So, can we slow down the breakdown of cartilage? Yes, this is how:
- Exercise: A simple way to tackle the normal aches and pains of aging is to exercise regularly. According to the AARP, exercise works in many ways to help address aches and pains at 50:
- Exercise helps strengthen the muscles in these areas so that the bones are not bearing the complete weight of the body
- Activity also helps push nutrients to these parts where they are used efficiently to build and repair the cartilage
- The repetitive movements that we do with exercise push the joint fluid into cartilage more effectively
- Exercise not only repairs cartilage but also halts the speedy deterioration of the cartilage in these parts
Sedentary life post 50 can be a very dangerous lifestyle choice. Ask your health care provider about the right kind of exercise and go for it right away.
Also Read: Health Benefits of Joint Supplements
- Supplements: If you are not accustomed to exercise, you may find it very tough to take it up quickly especially when your joints are not cooperating at all. The normal aches and pains of aging can make even simple daily tasks very difficult to do. Exercise may be the last thing you are confident of doing. In such cases, you need to supplement your diet with the building blocks of your joint tissues first:
- Methylsulfonylmethane: Also known as MSM, rich in organic sulphur is necessary for healthy bone and joint. MSM (see also 'MSM for arthritis pain: Is it safe?') reduces swelling in the joints and also has antioxidant effects that reverse aging, in general. Sulphur plays a critical role in the production of two essential components of healthy cartilage- collagen and glucosamine (see also our article on glucosamine and blood sugar). Sulphur rich MSM has been researched and it was found that both pain and physical function impairment improved as a result.
- Glucosamine: A structural part of cartilage along with chondroitin, glucosamine is ideally produced in the body. It has anti-inflammatory properties and also protects cartilage in different ways but especially by protecting the chondrocytes that sustain cartilage.
- Chondroitin: Testing has found this compound effective in reducing the normal aches and pains of aging. Chondroitin works by subduing the activity of those enzymes that break down the collagen, resulting in joint stiffness and pain.
It is clear that a supplement that contains these three cartilage- protecting compounds would make the perfect treatment for joint pain in old age. This is exactly what you get with Physio Flex pro, a supplement designed to address the by combining these with Piperine to enhance the bioavailability. Be it stiffness, pain or inflammation of the joints, Physio Flex Pro is a complete supplement that works as a single, effective, easy to use solution to get rid of aches and pains at 50.