As a gamer, you know the thrill of victory and the agony of a challenging level. But what about the discomfort in your wrists, thumbs, and fingers after hours of gaming? You're not alone.
Many gamers experience joint pain, but the right supplements can make all the difference. In this article, we dive into the world of joint supplements specifically designed for gamers like you. With insights from industry experts, we'll explore effective solutions that cater to your unique needs.
Whether you're a health enthusiast or a gaming aficionado, our guide promises to help you make an informed decision for healthier gaming sessions. So, grab your controller and let's embark on a journey towards pain-free gaming.
Understanding Joint Health in Gaming
Causes of Joint Strain in Gamers
Take into knowledge these everyday gaming-related activities that can lead to joint pain:
- Repetitive movements - Thumb discomfort and possible disorders often result from repetitive thumb motion for pressing or pushing buttons. Ailments like synovitis, tendinitis, and epicondylitis could be the result of repetitive hand motions and bending of the wrist.
- Prolonged sitting - Prolonged sitting with repetitive activities and several awkward postures during gaming can make individuals prone to musculoskeletal disorders. The impact of three hours of gaming on trunk and neck posture is more significant compared to one and two hours of gaming.
- Poor ergonomics - Most discomforts of Esport athletes were reported to be on the upper body, and musculoskeletal disorders were shown to be associated with lack of ergonomic support of a university with Esports.
- Excessive game playing - Excessive gaming time is associated with a case of tendinitis, which was changed to the term "Nintendinitis" due to overuse of the thumb when playing games with a Nintendo.
Potential long-term effects of untreated joint strain in gamers include:
- Reduced range of motion - Untreated joint strain will result in stiffness and frequent pain, leading you to discomfort and minimal productivity in daily activities or movements.
- Chronic pain - When left untreated, joint strain can lead to painful conditions that can affect areas such as the neck, wrist, fingers, back, and shoulders. Persistent pain in these areas can reduce enjoyment and fulfillment in gaming.
- Musculoskeletal disorders - Tendinitis, Gamer's Thumb, and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome are just some of the many musculoskeletal disorders that you can get with continuous stress on muscles and joints, resulting in limited mobility and may require surgery.
The Science Behind Joint Supplements
Key Ingredients and Their Benefits
These common ingredients from joint supplements can treat joint issues related to gaming:
- Glucosamine - A naturally occurring compound with analgesic and chondroprotective effects in the body that contributes to relieving joint pain and improving stiffness.
- Chondroitin - A component of natural glycosaminoglycans (GAG) that has shock-absorbing properties, helps regenerate the joint structure for reduced pain.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) - A compound that contains sulfur with anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce joint inflammation and muscle stiffness. It also has analgesic effects that can treat conditions like tendinitis.
How Supplements Support Joint Health
In a 2015 study, glucosamine and chondroitin can increase hyaline cartilage formation, enhancing tendon-to-bone healing. This can positively affect the repair process and post-surgical rehabilitation in sports surgeries.
A 2020 study showed how glucosamine sulfate, combined with conventional treatment, is proven more effective in improving function and pain than traditional treatment for hand osteoarthritis.
MSM in a study improved the effectiveness of antibiotherapy concerning the treatment duration and spectrum for 6 months on bone and joint infections in orthopedic surgery.
Best Joint Supplements for Gamers
If you're looking for an all-encompassing joint supplement that will effectively treat any joint-related condition when gaming, Physio Flex Pro is a trusted and high-quality supplement that contains dietary and natural ingredients like turmeric extract, ginger, and bromelain.
These ingredients have anti-inflammatory properties to alleviate joint pain and inflammation.
Physio Flex Pro is beneficial specifically for gamers because it can relieve pain in the hands, wrists, and fingers. The supplement's ingredients can reduce stiffness and improve mobility, making it easier and more comfortable for players to get back to their gaming routines.
Personalizing Your Choice
It's crucial to step up your game in choosing the right supplement by:
- Choosing high-quality supplements - Select supplements with third-party testing for purity and safety and make sure they're registered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or verified by the Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
- Reviewing ingredient combinations - Selecting a supplement containing all the ingredients needed for joint support is crucial. However, you must still be cautious of excessive ingredient overlap and consult a doctor before taking a supplement with other medications.
- Checking supplement labels for potential allergies - A supplement may not work for those who are allergic to certain ingredients, like those containing shellfish, so it's always best to check labels. You can select vegetarian or vegan options depending on your dietary preferences.
- Understanding your gaming habits - Always consider adjusting or changing your gaming habits, precisely the intensity and duration of gaming sessions. Identify which areas experience pain and discomfort for a better selection of supplements.
Additional Strategies in Joint Health in Gaming
Tips on ergonomic gaming setups and practices:
- Maintain good posture - Avoid leaning or slouching forward too often, and always sit back in your chain with relaxed shoulders and a straight back.
- Take regular breaks - To reduce eye strain, follow the 20-20-20 rule. Rest your eyes for 20 minutes by looking at something 20 feet away or for 20 seconds. Do some stretches and move your body by taking a 30-60 minute break.
- Personalized Setup - Depending on your comfort level, adjust monitor placement, chair height, and desk height for a personalized ergonomic setup.
- Use mouse pad with wrist support - To reduce joint or wrist strain during gameplay, use a mouse pad with cushioned wrist support.
- Ergonomic mouse and keyboard - Reduce stress in your wrists and hands by using ergonomic gaming mice and keyboards.
The following are lifestyle modifications you can consider to support joint health:
- Exercise - Engage in a range of motion exercises like yoga and tai chi to improve flexibility. Consider low-impact exercises such as cycling, swimming, and walking to strengthen muscles and joints.
- Stay hydrated - Always drink 8 or more glasses of water daily to support your connective tissues and lubrication of joints. Don't forget to have a glass of water by your side during gaming sessions.
- Prioritize adequate sleep - This can be quite challenging for gamers who like to stay up all night finishing a challenging level. Still, sleep is more critical for your overall health and recovery than experiencing joint pain from excessive use of controllers.
- Choose a balanced diet - Investing in a balanced diet by selecting foods rich in omega-3, calcium, and vitamin D can prevent your joints from experiencing severe symptoms or conditions related to gaming.
Addressing the 'Gamer's Thumb'
What is 'Gamer's Thumb'?
Also known as 'De Quervain's Tenosynovitis,'' it is a painful and common condition in the gaming community caused by inflammation of the tendons on the wrist's thumb side. Gamers prone to this condition engage in repetitive thumb movements when using a controller, pressing buttons, or swiping on touchscreens.
One study showed a rate of 49.0% of Gamer's Thumb in students after taking Finkelstein's test. The statistical analysis showed that the change in wrist position and prolonged duration of mobile gaming were associated with a higher risk of the condition.
Specific Supplements and Techniques for 'Gamer's Thumb'
Take supplements containing omega-3 fatty acids, turmeric, glucosamine, and chondroitin to alleviate pain, inflammation, and stiffness to help you regain your gaming track.
Physio Flex Pro is an example of a comprehensive supplement containing these ingredients that can promote pain relief and mobility to your thumb for every move you take.
Here are some ergonomic practices that can help prevent or manage Gamer's Thumb:
- Stretching exercises
- Proper hand and wrist position
- Regular breaks
1. What makes a joint supplement suitable specifically for gamers as opposed to general users?
A joint supplement consisting of anti-inflammatory properties from dietary and natural ingredients like glucosamine, chondroitin, turmeric, and ginger is necessary to treat gaming joint pain. Other ingredients consisting of vitamins and MSM or hyaluronic acid for hydration and lubrication are beneficial for gamers who spend a long duration of gaming.
2. Are there any side effects associated with these supplements that gamers should be aware of?
Gamers must be cautious and anticipate possible side effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, like nausea and diarrhea. Gamers who have fish allergies or are prone to bleeding disorders due to blood medications must avoid taking omega-3 fatty acids. Also, high doses of turmeric may lead to gastrointestinal upset.
3. How long does taking joint supplements for repetitive use strains typically take to see benefits?
Generally, it will take several weeks to months before results show up. Results may vary due to factors like individual experiences, type of supplement, and severity of the condition.
4. Can these supplements be combined with other forms of treatment for joint pain or injuries?
Joint supplements for gamers can be combined with physical therapy to improve joint function, explicitly targeting the thumb, wrists, and fingers. It can also be combined with over-the-counter medications, but it's still crucial to consult a healthcare professional first, as some medications may cause severe symptoms to occur.
5. What are the signs that a gamer might need to start considering joint supplements?
A gamer might start their joint supplement journey when they experience swelling, pain, stiffness, loss of endurance and reduced grip strength.
6. Are there any preventive measures alongside supplements that can be adopted to avoid joint issues in gaming?
Preventive measures include taking regular breaks, ergonomic gaming setup, maintaining proper posture, hand and wrist exercises, and eye level monitor.
It's inevitable to experience discomfort in your thumb, wrists, and fingers after playing online games for a long duration. If left untreated, it may lead to a more severe condition like musculoskeletal disorders (e.g., tendinitis, gamer's thumb).
Therefore, choose joint supplements containing ingredients like glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, as they can cater to your individual needs by alleviating pain and stiffness. Before including a joint supplement in your daily routine, choose a holistic approach to joint health by combining supplements with ergonomic practices and lifestyle modifications.
Remember to consult a healthcare professional first before starting your supplement journey to know your options in making well-informed personalized choices in your gaming habits.
Consider Physio Flex Pro as a part of your gaming and overall lifestyle to improve long-term joint health.